Follow Us:

Advertisement

UP SIT Serves Notice to SP MP Zia ur Rehman Barq Over Sambhal Violence

The SIT team traveled to New Delhi and delivered the notice to Barq at his hostel in Western Court.

TIS Desk | New Delhi |

Advertisement

The Uttar Pradesh Special Investigation Team (SIT) handed over a notice to Samajwadi Party MP Zia ur Rehman Barq on Tuesday in connection with the violence that erupted at Sambhal’s Shahi Jama Masjid on November 24 during a court-ordered survey of the mosque.

The SIT team traveled to New Delhi and delivered the notice to Barq at his hostel in Western Court. Addressing the issue, Barq told ANI that he received the notice under Section 35(3) and assured full cooperation with the investigation.

“I have received the notice given to me under Section 35(3)… Since I am a citizen of this country and also an MP, I have assured the police of full cooperation during the investigation,” Barq stated.

The violent clashes at the mosque on November 24 resulted in the deaths of four people. Following the incident, an FIR was filed against Barq and the son of a local MLA for allegedly inciting the violence.

Moradabad Police Commissioner Aunjaneya Kumar Singh confirmed the charges, stating, “An investigation is underway. FIRs have been registered. An FIR regarding instigation has been lodged against Sambhal MP Zia ur Rehman Barq and a local MLA’s son. Four people have died, and the injured are receiving treatment. Strict action will be taken, and if necessary, NSA will also be imposed.”

In a joint press conference, Sambhal SP Krishna Kumar Bishnoi revealed that 800 people have been named in the case. Sub-Inspector Deepak Rathi, who was injured during the violence, filed a complaint alleging that Barq and Sohail Iqbal instigated the mob.

“Barq had been warned before about making provocative speeches. He was served a notice earlier as well,” Bishnoi added.

While facing allegations, Barq claimed that the violence was orchestrated and part of a larger pattern of targeting Muslims.

“It is so unfortunate; this is a pre-planned incident. Across the country, Muslims are being targeted, and such a situation has never been seen after independence. The Places of Worship Act is being violated, and court orders are being issued on the same day as pleas are filed. The DM and SP rushed to conduct the survey, and people were stopped from offering Namaz. What was the necessity of a second survey?” Barq told ANI.

As the investigation unfolds, the SIT continues to probe the case, and further legal action against those involved remains a possibility.

Advertisement

Advertisement